Or call the Box Office:
315.255.1785 / 1.800.457.8897
Or call the Box Office:
at the Preston H. Thomas Theatre in the Merry-Go-Round Playhouse
The North American premiere will launch right here in Auburn!
It’s 1941 in Honolulu, Hawaii. The men of G Company are restless and disgruntled. One of their own, the rebellious but soulful Private Prewitt falls for escort club girl, Lorene and his platoon sergeant embarks on a dangerous affair of forbidden love with his commander’s wife. As the infamous date approaches, the claustrophobic world of the four lovers and the desperation of the soldiers of G Company splinter amidst an escalating war. Tim Rice’s new musical makes its North American premiere right here in Auburn. Don’t miss this epic, sweeping story of love, redemption and hope set against the backdrop of a beautiful but conflicted paradise.
Rated R (Adult themes and strong language)
- Director and Choreographer: Brett Smock**
- Associate Director/Choreographer: Robin Levine
- Associate Director/Choreographer: Julie Tomaino
- Musical Director: Corinne Aquilina
- Assistant Musical Director: Ben Krauss
- Fight Director: Christopher Elst
- Scenic Designer: Stanley Meyer
- Associate Scenic Designer: Jason Curtis
- Lighting Designer: Dan Ozminkowski
- Assistant Lighting Designer: Gillian Frame
- Costume Designer: Lucy Brown
- Sound Designer: Kevin Heard
- Production Stage Manager: Becky Lynn Dawson*
Based on the Novel by James Jones
Book by Donald Rice and Bill Oakes
Lyrics by Tim Rice
Music by Stuart Brayson
* indicates Talkbacks § indicates Signed Performances
Artistic Staff / Musicians
- Corinne Aquilina (Musical Director) New York and tour credits include arranger/musical director for the long-running off-Broadway show MENOPAUSE, THE MUSICAL, and musician in the Broadway orchestras of THE BOY FROM OZ, ANNIE, FIVE GUYS NAMED MOE and THE GREAT AMERICAN TRAILER PARK MUSICAL. Other arranger credits include R&H Library’s SOPHISTICATED LADIES. In addition to TREASURE ISLAND, original projects include THE LITTLEST WITCH, licensed by Steele Spring Theatricals and PUMP N GO, a new musical. Additional regional productions include HAIRSPRAY, THE DROWSY CHAPERONE, THE FULL MONTY, 42ND STREET, FIVE GUYS NAMED MOE, SMOKEY JOE’S CAFE, THE 25TH ANNUAL PUTNAM COUNTY SPELLING BEE, CABARET, CHICAGO, MISS SAIGON, THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE, EVITA, LA CAGE AUX FOLLES, MY FAIR LADY, THE KING & I, THE SOUND OF MUSIC, NUNSENSE, OLIVER!, TINTYPES, BRIGADOON, KISS ME, KATE, ANYTHING GOES, DAMES AT SEA, SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN, GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES, DAMN YANKEES and DADDY LONG LEGS. Corinne is Assistant Professor and Program Director for the BFA Musical Theatre program at Nazareth College of Rochester. She is resident Musical Director at Finger Lakes Musical Theatre Festival. Corinne is a member of the Dramatists Guild, ASCAP and AFM Local 802.
- Christopher Ash (Projections Designer) Theater Guthrie, Yale Rep, Soho Rep, Engeman, Theatre Row, Drury Lane Oakbrook, Chautauqua Institute, Old Globe, Geffen, South Coast Rep, LATC, San Diego Rep, Arizona, Steppenwolf, Victory Gardens, Theatre For A New Audience, New York Theatre Workshop, Shakespeare In The Park, Signature Opera Lyric Opera Chicago, Canadian Opera, Houston Grand, Salzburg, Opera Delaware, Summer Opera DC., Santa Fe Opera Dance Charlotte Ballet, River North, Hubbard Street 2, Heidi Latsky, Anadolu Ateşi, CoisCeim, Hershey Park, National Dance Institute. Training: MFA, Yale School of Drama. www.christopherash.com
- Lucy Brown (Costume Design) MGR: THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA, LEGALLY BLONDE, 9-5 THE MUSICAL, DO BLACK PATENT LEATHER SHOES REALLY REFLECT UP, RING OF FIRE, PROMISES, PROMISES, THE BUDDY HOLLY STORY. Musical Theatre Festival: NEUROSIS, ALTAR BOYZ. Connecticut Repertory Theatre: ALL IN THE TIMING, RENT, HAIR, A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS, PENTECOST, MACBETH. Split Knuckle Theatre Company: ENDURANCE. Gene Frankel Theatre: A DOLL’S HOUSE. Costume Sketch Artist: feature filmsCinderella (2015), New Year’s Eve; theatre productions NOISES OFF, Delaware Rep.; A NIGHT AT THE EL HOMBRE CAFÉ, Off Broadway. Costume Design Assistant: The Box, Soho London. Recently exhibited at the Bakhrushin Museum in Moscow, Costume Design at the Turn of the Century: 1990-2015. Now residing in Chicago as a professional dancewear designer. This show is dedicated to my lovingly hilarious family.
- Jason M. Curtis (Associate Scenic Designer) Charge Artist: 3dx Scenic Studio 2005-2012; TREASURE ISLAND, A NEW MUSICAL, Arkansas Repertory Theatre; NUTCRACKER, Lone Star Ballet; BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, 2008 Domestic Tour. Assistant Designer: BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, 2014 International Tour; ALICE COOPER, World Tour. Associate Designer: Steve Miller Band 2013; Shamu Light up the Night 2014, Sea World Parks; SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER, Merry-Go-Round Playhouse 2015. Resident Designer: Kings Island Musical Reviews and Halloween Haunt, 2009-Current. BFA University of Cincinnati- CCM. Thank you family, friends, Brett, Stan.
- Becky Lynn Dawson* (Production Stage Manager) is from Lehi, Utah and holds an MFA from Mason Gross School of the Arts and a BFA from Utah State University. Selected stage management credits include THE SPITFIRE GRILL, CHICAGO, M. BUTTERFLY, I HATE HAMLET, Northern Stage; SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER, WEST SIDE STORY, MARY POPPINS, ON THE TOWN, LEGALLY BLONDE, HANK WILLIAMS: LOST HIGHWAY, CATS, CABARET, 42ND STREET, HAIRSPRAY, Merry-Go-Round Playhouse; Divinamente New York 2009 & 2010, EH Arts International; AN ECLECTIC EVENING OF SHORTS II & III, Artistic New Directions; WARNING: ADULT CONTENT, NEMESIS, Theatre 54; SPAIN, Bridge Theatre Company; MONSTER, HOUSE, English Rose Productions. Becky is thrilled to be returning for her twelfth season and sends many thanks to her family, Shannon, and awesome SM team for their continuing support.
- Christopher Elst (Fight Director) A Certified Teacher with the Society of American Fight Directors, an Associate Instructor with Dueling Arts International, and one-half of the dynamic duo behind Theater RED, Christopher has designed violence and intimacy for productions at theatres across the country, including Renaissance Theatre Works, Milwaukee Chamber Theatre, Skylight Music Theatre, The Fireside Theatre, Milwaukee Opera Theatre, and The Alchemist Theatre. He thanks his wife, Marcee, for tolerating late nights and joint locks. http://www.christopherelst.com/
- John Jeanneret (Reed 1) is an accomplished musician, composer, and educator. He is a graduate of both the Crane School of Music and the University of North Texas. John has performed with many inspiring jazz musicians, including Buddy DeFranco, Rufus Reid, and Phil Woods, among countless others. More recently he has worked with many regional and national musical theatre productions. His compositions and arrangements have been performed by various high schools, university groups, and professional ensembles. John currently teaches at Fayetteville-Manlius High School and maintains an active private music studio. He lives in Syracuse with his wife Kristina, and enjoys playing golf, traveling, volunteering, and learning new languages. www.johnjeanneret.com
- Robin Levine (Associate Director/Choreographer) Select Directing/Choreography credits include: MAD LIBS LIVE at New World Stages, 42ND STREET, SUDS, THE ADDAMS FAMILY, ALL SHOOK UP, FREEWHEELERS and FUNNY GIRL, as well as numerous film projects and live events. Upcoming directing projects: TOMMY, ROCK OF AGES, and 25TH ANNUAL…SPELLING BEE. Performing credits include: MAMMA MIA!, Broadway; THE PIRATE QUEEN, Pre-Broadway; THE RADIO CITY CHRISTMAS SPECTACULAR, New York; I LOVE BOB, Joyce Soho; and The Tony Awards…not to mention countless shows at FLMTF! She is an ensemble member of A Broken Umbrella Theatre, an award winning theatre company in New Haven, CT. She is on faculty at Steps on Broadway, CAP21 and AMDA NY. www.robin-levine.com
- Stanley A. Meyer (Scenic Designer) is delighted and honored to be collaborating with the FLMTF family. Stan has more than seven dozen credits as a scenic designer/production designer/illustrator that have earned him numerous awards and nominations including The League of American Theatres and Producers, National Broadway Award, American Theatre Wing Design Award nomination, New York Outer Critics Circle Award nomination, National Broadway Theatre Award nomination, Los Angeles Ovation Award nomination, THEA Award winner- Best Outdoor Nighttime Spectacular for Peter Pan’s Neverland at Universal Studios Japan, IAPPA Brass Ring Award winner- Best Outdoor Daytime Spectacular for SeaWorld’s Blue Horizons, Numerous Los Angeles Drama Logue Awards for his work at the Grove Shakespeare Festival in Southern California & 10 Awards including “The Sweepstakes Award” for his design work in collaboration with Fiesta Parade Floats for the Tournament of Roses Parade seen New Year’s Day Worldwide. His critically acclaimed work includes the World Premiere & International Sensation Disney’s BEAUTY AND THE BEAST; The world premiere of Sir Elton John and Sir Tim Rice’s AIDA, Alliance Theatre, Atlanta; The World Premiere of TREASURE ISLAND, A NEW MUSICAL, Arkansas Repertory Theatre; The 2015 American Premier of SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER, Finger Lakes Musical Theatre Festival; The Southeast Asia tour of BARBIE LIVE!; Alice Cooper’s 2007, 2010 World Tours; The Steve Miller Band 2010, 2012 & 2014 World Tours; Cyndi Lauper’s True Colors tour; Busch Gardens Williamsburg’s Rollercoaster, Verbolten! & London Rocks! Stage Show; The New Nutcracker Ballet, Lone Star Ballet, Amarillo, Texas; Disney Live! Three Classic Fairy Tales; Disney on Ice’s Dare to Dream & Designs for the 2010 & 2014 Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey Circus and a plethora of industrials, parades, stage shows and special events for all of the Disney theme parks. Stan is listed in the Library of Congress for his illustrations for the book called 101 Things I Hate About Your House and is currently designing the musical PRISCILLA, QUEEN OF THE DESERT, a new play called WARHOL CAPOTE STRANGE DENTS and six designs for the 2017 Tournament of Roses Parade. Stan would like to thank Brett Smock for another wonderful opportunity, his partner Arnis for feeding and loving him and a special shout out to his dear friend and colleague Jason Curtis for helping him to continue to “Make a Career out of Coloring and Playing Pretend.” Stan is represented by the Michael Moore Agency. To view more of Stanley’s design go to: www.stanleyameyerdesignllc.com.
- Dan Ozminkowski (Lighting Designer) MGR: Nine productions, including WEST SIDE STORY and LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA last summer. Regional: SMOKEY JOE’S CAFE, Arena Stage; TREASURE ISLAND, A NEW MUSICAL, Arkansas Rep; LET ME DOWN EASY, Arena Stage, Wexner Center, Philadelphia Theatre Company, San Diego Rep, Berkeley Rep. North American Tour: SPIRIT OF UGANDA 2010 – 2014. Associate/Assistant: A NIGHT WITH JANIS JOPLIN, IMPRESSIONISM & THE RITZ (Broadway); LE REVE (Wynn, Las Vegas), Jennifer Muller/The Works (Brazil). Nominated, Barrymore Peco Award. USA 829. BFA, Purchase College; MFA, Parsons. Head of Lighting Design, Illinois State University.
- Darryl Pugh (Bass) a graduate of Berklee College and Eastman School, is a longtime bassist in the Syracuse area. A founding member of Symphoria, Darryl has performed extensively with Syracuse Stage, SU Drama, CNY Jazz Orchestra and various other musical venues in the area. Darryl holds adjunct posts at local colleges including Colgate University, Hamilton College, Syracuse University and Onondaga Community College. He resides in Syracuse with his wife Mary Ellen and sons Colin and Daniel. Darryl is thrilled to perform again with MGR Playhouse.
- H. Erin Quist* (AEA Assistant Stage Manager) is excited for her first season with the Finger Lakes Musical Theatre Festival. Chicago area credits include: NICE WORK IF YOU CAN GET IT, Theatre at the Centre; BYE BYE BIRDIE, PETER AND THE STARCATCHER, BILLY ELLIOT, CAMELOT, 25TH ANNUAL PUTNAM COUNTY SPELLING BEE, LES MISERABLE, OLIVER!, Drury Lane; JUNGLE BOOK, A CHRISTMAS CAROL, Goodman Theatre.
- James R. Spadafore (Reed 2) is excited to be playing in the pit with such outstanding conductors and musicians. As a freelance musician James has performed with the likes of Marvin Hamlish, Natalie Cole, Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra Jr., Ben Vereen, Bob Hope, Petula Clark, The Fifth Dimension, The Spinners, Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons, The Four Tops and The Temptations. As a pit musician, Mr. Spadafore has performed with the national touring companies of CITY OF ANGELS, THE KING & I, A CHORUS LINE, PETER PAN, BIG, CHICAGO, THE PRODUCERS, HAIRSPRAY, SPAMALOT, WICKED, THE BOOK OF MORMON, MATILDA, and THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. Mr. Spadafore is a member the “Stan Colella Orchestra.” James resides in Liverpool, NY and wishes to thank his parents Pat and Fran, his three children Joel, Crista and Samantha, and his significant other Betsey who inspires him each and every day.
- Julie Tomaino (Associate Director/Choreographer) has a 16-year relationship with Brett Smock and the MGR Playhouse, and is thrilled to be a part of this team! She is a Jessie Award winner and two-time Ovation Award winner for Outstanding Choreography. Select credits: FOOTLOOSE, Chemainus; MARY POPPINS, WCT/Persephone; CRAZY FOR YOU, Gateway; DAMES AT SEA, Papermill; SINGIN IN THE RAIN, Port Hope; CHESS, Theatre Sheridan; HAIRSPRAY, TUTS; CELEBRATE BROADWAY, Kennedy Center; and CABARET, ON THE TOWN, 42ND ST, and SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER for FLMTF. Former Radio City Rockette. Upcoming: MARVELOUS WONDERETTES, Cortland Rep; MAMMA MIA, Port Hope. Love and thanks to Brett, Neil, everyone at The Talent House, and my family. www.julietomaino.com
- Daniel Wright (Trumpet 1) is a brass teacher and clinician, and has a B.M. in music performance from the Eastman School of Music in Rochester, NY. Daniel is a very active performer in the Greater-Philadelphia area. He has played at venues such as The Academy of Music, The Forrest Theatre, and The Kimmel Center. He has also performed in New York City at venues such as Carnegie Hall and The Lincoln Center. In addition to his performance schedule Daniel has a Private Studio in Philadelphia, PA and teaches at a number of schools in the region including four branches of Settlement Music School, Germantown Friend School, and he is a Teaching Artist for Tune Up Philly.
* Members of Actor’s Equity Association, the Union of professional Actors and Stage Managers in the United States
** Member of Stage Directors and Choreographers Society